Cob: Window Installation

Darel Henman henman at it.to-be.co.jp
Sun Jan 5 22:59:15 CST 2003

For multiple panes a frame would ensure even displacement, be safer and
easier to install.  But, as pointed out it would require a little more
time to make the frame.  It should however save time when panes need to
be replaced.

Perhaps someone will think of an easier method (than wood) to make
irregular shaped frames, that are safer and easier to replace a new pane
than the duct tape method.  Let us hear any ideas on this.  For example,
possibly a frame made in two or more parts from a lime putty. or even
plaster of paris?

I have a question regarding the statement below about replacing a pane.
You describe carving out the dried cob, putting in the new glass pane
and then using new cob over the old.   I should think that some kind of
preparations, such as a.) damping the underlying dry cob first before
applying the new, or b.) somehow prepare the surface so that new cob can
be keyed in for a better meld with the old.  Do you have any advice on
this.

Darel