Cob: Use of Forms?

Darel Henman henman at it.to-be.co.jp
Mon Jan 6 20:50:48 CST 2003

Joe,
  Thank you so much for the information.
  About a use for the chalk, it can be fired with coal at about 950 to
1,000 degrees celcius (C) for a day or two (or for as long as the coal
burns?) and produce raw lime, some call it quick lime? (from the calcium
carbonate in the chalk).  I wouldn't be surprised if this was what was
used for the lime washes used on the earthen buildings.   I was alway
curious about the sources for the building lime in other countries.
Some places used (still do) oyster (or other shellfish) shells to fire
to produce raw lime.  I've heard this can be done with freshwater shells
as well.

Darel