Cob: Stewing. Long.

Yun Que yunk88 at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 8 13:16:39 CST 2003

Cat here!  Hi Miranda, No No No!  I got a road crew to dump a load of
guard rail timbers at my place thinking I would use them as pilasters for
a cottage. The sun hit them and in spite of their age they still stunk!!
The splinters will fester like you have been poisoned, cause you have!
And they don't look very pretty.  Did you say that you were going to
build in PA?  That means you won't be far from WV.  We have allot of
timber companies here you may be able to get your logs right at the
source.  Some of the farmers cut on there farms for pasture or thinning
out the dead trees.  Depending on the length, diameter, and wood type you
may be able to find something sweet.

2 years ago I tore a building down for the materials.  Got some 150 year
old oak floor joists, and some 4 x 6 x 12' oak timbers.  hand hewn!  Also
got some cut stone blocks. and about 500 cinder blocks.  It took 2 weeks
at 4 hrs a day  a pick up truck, a heavy truck, with loader one day.  And
a fellow built like a bull!  So for about $500.00  + my labor  I have
what can not be gotten now at any price.  Now the down side.  Tearing
down buildings can be dangerous.  Don't even look at a building if it has
asbestos, unless you own it then some areas let the owner take it out.
WV has the most liberal laws I have ever come by about almost
everything.  For the good stuff there is much much more that is useless
and must be disposed of.  We were able to burn with the OK from the town
council and the Vol Fire Department who both wanted the building to go
away!  If you embark on a project like this be sure that there is enough
you want to make it worth your while.  Be sure to be very specific in
your contract with the land owner as to who does what.  In this case I
removed the building but I did not level, fill , or landscape the lot!!!!

for the good of all Cat

>From: "Shannon C. Dealy"
>To: Miranda
>CC: coblist at deatech.com
>Subject: Re: Cob: Stewing. Long.
>Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 01:41:42 -0800 (PST)
>

>[snip]
> > Roofing. Are telephone poles a good option for rafters? I think I'll
have
>{snip]
>
>Telephone poles generally contain creosote and/or other toxic chemicals
>protect them from the elements, and (at least around here) are
classified
>as toxic waste, requiring special handling for disposal. I personally
>wouldn't use them for any part of a structure anyone was going to live
in.

>Shannon C. Dealy | DeaTech Research Inc.
>dealy at deatech.com | - Custom Software Development -
> | Embedded Systems, Real-time, Device Drivers
>Phone: (800) 467-5820 | Networking, Scientific & Engineering
Applications