Cob: where in the US for cob

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 8 16:08:26 CST 2003

Unfortunately the question is about like asking "what is THE BEST car?"
there ain't no one size fits all answer.
You might read Ianto Evans on this.

Rural middle Tennessee isn't bad, especially if your land has cherty clay
that's easy to get to.  But, for instance, I don't have any that's easy to
get to, but the little logging road down the hill just off of my property on
the other side of the stream seems to have nearly perfect soil for cob.
I've mostly got silt.  So soil is very spotty.  We don't have much in the
way of codes and inspections.   But we may not have the kind of support
system I'm becoming more and more aware that one (I!) needs.

Solar?  the southwest.  It's being done here, but not in dark hollows "where
the sun refuse to shine."  And somebody just reported on a farm in coastal
Oregon where some 15 people live on what might be a fairly modest solar
system in Tennessee.

Jill Still wants to know:

Where in the US are the BEST conditions for cob building and alternative
power, such as solar? We hope to find a place that the soil is conducive to
cob building.