Cob: cob or compressed earth retaining walls

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 15 22:07:10 CST 2003

I rejected that idea for me the second I thought about it.  French
drains--any kind of ditch--can work wonders but....  For my considerably
taller wall with a building on it, I'm still thinking gabions.  The parking
lot of the  wal mart in Florence Alabama sits on top of what looks like bent
hog panels with plastic deer fence liners.  The Corps of engineers is using
them to try to prevent erosion on the Tennessee river. Theirs look more like
the traditional rocks in baskets.

"http://groups.msn.com/ap615/spring2002.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=137"

"http://groups.msn.com/ap615/newpicturesmidsept2002.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=191"

Tony Dean asked, I snipped a little:
Does anyone have data on cob or compressed earth retaining wall designs?

I'm looking at about 4.5ft high at the tallest point for a retaining
wall that just holds earth.

I'm sure there is a way to do it, but it may take French drains to keep
the water away. I wouldn't expect the retaining wall to last longer than
25 years.