Cob: Re: Underground Cob

Raduazo at aol.com Raduazo at aol.com
Sat Jan 18 20:39:30 CST 2003

        Bentonite waterproofs by swelling and forming a water proof seal but
you must be careful. A leaky faucet on one side of a house has been known to
push in the wall. I issued a couple of patents on bentonite foundations and
you should be able to find the patents at <A HREF="http://164.195.100.11/netahtml/search-adv.htm">
http://164.195.100.11/netahtml/search-adv.htm</A>. The only one which I remember
used a layer of bentonite against the wall and a layer of sand or stone
adjacent the layer of bentonite. The two layers were formed by placing a
sheet of plywood parallel to the wall and filling sand on one side and
bentonite on the other. The bentonite layer is only a couple of inches thick.
Thick enough to seal but not thick enough to push in the wall. You should be
able to find the patent by searching raduazo (my name) and bentonite. Lots of
luck getting the figures though. It is easier to order the patents than to
print them of the PTO web page. If you are really interested I can print you
a copy next time I am at the Patent Office.
Ed