Cob: Bentonite

dcv dcv at datawise.net
Sun Jan 19 11:13:45 CST 2003

Having worked in excavating for several years, on occasion we would work in pond and lagoon construction. It was common to "patch" with Bentonite due to the fact that the pipe and other water tubing was often laid in place after the excavating was finished. Event though we were required to place and tamp adequate clay in place for water retention, some leakage would occur around the areas were the piping was installed.

Although you should always follow the directions on the product bags, we double dosed the area and rototilled it to a depth of 12" in around the area - we never had any problems with additional "leaks" afterward. Once this material comes into contact with water it is expands to something like 100 times its dry mass and coagulates or gels with the soil.

Just some info for your planning efforts.

dcv