Cob: discussion participation:

Will Moon arnold at ntelos.net
Sun Jan 19 10:21:37 CST 2003

Marsha,
	Two story cob is definitely possible.I have worked on a two story cob
building at a workshop in Ohio and am working on the drawings for a two
story home for my family.I,like you,am interested in a lack of debt.My home
will be done "out of pocket".It is not my wish to perpetuate the
realtor-banker-builder complex even though I am a builder.Also I have young
children who are excited about helping to build our home.These days not many
kids get to grow up in a home that they helped to build.I think that will be
a wonderful experience for my children.
	Like you,we live in a trailer while we have been saving some money to build
our own place.I have a letter from our local building official stating that
he will give me a permit to build a cob house.When the plans are done I will
apply for my permit and start building.
	As I am sure you know there are both pros and cons to a two story
building.You can get more building under less roof with two stories.And
roofs seem to be a big challenge for most people that have no experience
with them.Materials are less and less material handling is
involved.However,all of that handling is done two stories up.Some things are
hard enough to handle on flat ground,much less two stories up while trying
to maintain your balance on rafters,joists or trusses.And just getting the
materials up there can be an unbeleivable amount of work.But there are a lot
of ways to skin a cat,and I know quite a few of them!When it comes down to
brass tacks and specific solutions I will be glad to answer any of your
questions that I can.
	I would like to say that I have been a "lurker"to this point.I have done so
because I have had nothing positive to say or nothing to say that hadn't
already been answered by others a well as I could have done.My main reason
for being on this list has been to get ideas from others.Can't say that it
has been too successful in that respect,(Not that there haven't been lots of
ideas,just none I can use)but the inspiration I have drawn from people such
as yourself and others who are determined to keep pushing ahead in spite of
all the obstacles they encounter has been priceless.Everybody keep your
chins up!
	Let me know if I can be of help in any specific way!

Will Moon