Cob:

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 19 11:27:11 CST 2003

Thanks for the links. I found David and Sheila Knapp's home page on
Geocities.  Got no hits for the Mud Spaces and Spirit book.  It sounds like
it would be interesting.  The Build Your Own Adobe book is quite useful no
matter what you are building.  Especially if it's in the library.

Rural Tennessee has not much in the way of codes.  Just the electrical
inspection/septic tank requirement.  Not sure which counties are included,
but Wayne, Lewis, Hickman are.  NOT Davidson and surrounding, almost
certainly NOT Shelby and surrounding.

But you need to know if you will be able to stand any area you move to
before you invest a lot of money and psychic capital to move there.  I'm in
northern Wayne county, 30 miles from a large supermarket, 10 miles from a
cup of coffee (actually maybe less, there's a bar a little closer), 50 miles
from a real bookstore.  I know of 2 people with PhD's in the county, one
retired, one a woodworker.  There may well be a couple more, in fact I know
a third one building a house.  One of the Internet Service Providers is run
by a biker who hated not having internet access.  There's a small
intentional community 10 miles away (home of the woodworker PhD).

My nearest neighbors bought their land, had the shell of a frame cottage put
up before they realized that electric service would run quite a bit more
than their house.  And they had nothing in the way of guarantee of water
(rumor hath it that the areas right beside the rivers are poor candidates
for wells).  That's probably fixable, with rainwater catchment, but they are
at the bottom of a really steep north-facing slope.  But they can walk down
to the river all on their land.

When I broke my leg a year and a half ago (not, blessedly, a bad break), I
drove myself into town to the doctor's office.  She wasn't there, but the
staff sent me over to the hospital--I walked--for x-rays.  They did use a
wheelchair to take me back to my truck, sending me roughly 50 miles to
Columbia to the orthopedists.  I walked into that office too.

That's the kind of isolation you are likely to end up with if you move to
deep country with the kind of no-zoning regulations you are thinking you
want.  You do need to ask yourselves, is this a good trade-off, or would we
be happier trying to build in a more settled area and keep sending all the
engineering papers we can find to the local planning people?

Jill mentions some books, wonders (I've snipped some here) if we've looked
at the index at http://geocities.yahoo.com/
I am considering take a few classes via the web at
http://www.sfia.net/index.asp Has anyone else taken any traditional type
classes? Architecture is a passion of mine - from a distance. This is my
first hands on or training at any of this. I am glad to find this like mind
list - at least similar in cob, if not other life views. :)