Cob: Re: light clay infill question

stefanson stefanson at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 20 14:29:28 CST 2003

Hello Shae,

We initially thought of doing the exact same thing as temporary shelter
while building a cob house, however, I determined that the light clay infill
wasn't practical. A stick frame building isn't strong enough in itself to
stand up to really strong winds & earthquakes. It needs a sheathing material
such as OSB/Plywood for racking strength. But the light clay needs to be
able to move moisture from the inside to the outside, so you might have a
problem if you had sheathing on the outside (but maybe not, I'm certainly
not an expert). I've heard of people using it as attic insulation, but that
typically has an inch or so of breathing space to help moisture evaporate.
Typically light clay is done as infill on post&beam, which is sturdy enough
in itself, and the walls are really thick.

Perhaps you can be creative to cut down on costs. You will need sheathing
for the exterior, but maybe you can find surplus somewhere? Ask businesses
that have stuff shipped to them in crates if you can have the crates, which
are usually constructed of a pallet with plywood/OSB sides, then you can use
the plywood/OSB for sheathing and the slats on the pallet for interior walls
:), and use recycled material for insulation (papercrete, soymilk
containers, whatever you can find that has air space).

Good Luck,
-Cari