Cob: Builders with disabilities

Yun Que yunk88 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 20 21:05:53 CST 2003

<P><BR><BR></P>
<DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="Times New Roman"></DIV>
<P>Hi Thom! Cat here, Since earth building is a collaborative process, hierarchical standards need not apply. To me it is a circle thing that is continually changing. There is always something for someone to do in a community of builders. </P></DIV>
<P>When Raven and I worked on our cob goat house (not finished yet) we worked in small time frames. When we were tired we rested when a stone was too big for the two of us we invited a friend to help. Even our goat Austin joined the crew as structural engineer. He walked the perimeter of the dry stack foundation and knocked down every stone that was not well seated!!</P></DIV>
<P>At a house raising their are those that cook, those that keep the kids under eye, the photographer, the trouble shooter, the person who knows where the first aid kit went? Maybe even a minstrel if a group is lucky or a few who can make music and know most of the words. Of course there’s the smart ass that points out the obvious and everybody gets to feel really dumb for a while, including the smart ass. </P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>Your circumstances could make you the expert on developing user friendly living spaces for specific life styles. </P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>I’m a designer, so I am inclined to think more than most of the fine detailing that goes into every well appointed home. To pleasure the eye takes craft of hands and slow hours with love of the moment. Sanding and oiling exposed beams, woodwork, and built in cabinetry are a big part. Setting tile or mosaic, pluming, Auhggh!!! not my favorite thing to do. Hint hint, plumbers welcome to my house raising!! Even stuff like a hand beaten copper hood for the fire place. Punched tin for the kitchen doors. Your imagination is the only limitation, the community fills the gaps as you will do for them. It is my experience that each soul has value in the whole. </P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>for the good of all Cat</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P></FONT><BR><BR></P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>From: "T.O. Edwards" <BUCKSUNRISE at HOTMAIL.COM>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Reply-To: "T.O. Edwards" <BUCKSUNRISE at HOTMAIL.COM>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>To: coblist at deatech.com
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Subject: Cob: Builders with disabilities
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 22:10:26 -0600
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Hello, People of the Cob,
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>This is the first time I have ever been an active member of a list
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>of any kind and am looking forward to meeting some quite interesting
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>folk.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>My question is this: would cob building lend itself to use by a
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>fellow who spends a great deal of his life in a wheelchair? I still
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>have a strong desire to build my own home, as did my father and my
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>brother, but my body will not stand a great deal of punishment (ie
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>heavy lifting) at a time. I can move around fairly well and I still
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>have a high degree of upper body strength. I just can't do a great
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>deal at a time. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is a bit weak!
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Thanks for welcoming me.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Thom Edwards
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>The new MSN 8 is here: Try it free* for 2 months
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>