Cob: RE:cob in OH

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 21 07:29:02 CST 2003

I've FIXED a water heater when the element was burned out a couple of times,
but the only time I've ever DISCARDED one was for leaks.  And since that's
how most of them die after 10-12 years (less if it is a "contractors's
special" low-wattage elements, a 1-year guarantee--thin walls but cheap), I
think I'd try for some other kind of tank.  They are made for solar water
heater applications--element-less but otherwise looking much like a water
heater--and are not too terribly expensive to have someone weld you up one
that will take the pressure.

Actually the time I discarded one I was able to take it to the place that
bought metal and sell it--for enough for my gas in the truck (it wasn't
above 10 miles away!)

...it called for placing the tank from a discarded
water heater horizontally in a properly sized
insulated plywood box, with a 45 degree double glazed
front panel. Pipe it through your wall and run it
between the water supply and the primary water heater.
I figure with some playing around (and probably
finding more up-to-date articles) a few of these could
supply (possibly even through thermo-siphoning) an
in-slab hydronic system.