Cob: Clay and Bool

~Lootvik~ lootvik at usermail.com
Fri Jan 24 13:21:41 CST 2003

If you're drawing a parallel with concrete walls, you're probably right
John.  I know that engineers freak out when you put big rocks in a
structural concrete wall.  What is the tensile strength of cob?  Most
likely it varies a lot.  I think the embedded rocks are a great idea.  Like
if you go without a plinth, they would shield from backsplash along the
base.  Or above the plinth or just for looks.  I'd worry a lot less with
rough-surfaced rock, than say river rock, which wouldn't bond as well.

That 3-5 ratio is a mighty big range.  Is the 3 for building with "bad"
adobe cob re etc.?