Cob:

Drew Neve farm at triwest.net
Sun Jan 26 16:32:03 CST 2003

Hi Jill,

I'm Drew, one of the "lurkers", and I see a place here where I can give
some advice.  I put a metal roof on a shed (I own a farm in Wisconsin) a
couple of years ago, and when shopping around for what I'd need I went
to 3-4 different places.  I went to a big building supply place (we have
Home Depot and a huge midwestern based chain called Menard's) and was
about to buy from them when, on a lark, I stopped into the local lumber
yard.  The big building supply places would sell me 15' sections and I
would have to wait for several days when they would be in my area for
delivery.  For not much more money ($1300 vs. $1100) I was able to get
the roofing custom cut to the length I wanted, a choice from a wide
variety of colors, got it delivered the morning I was going to install
it, I got help unloading it, and advice from an experienced voice rather
than from some kid punching a clock.  Moral of the story is that local
lumber yards can be a good source.
Another bit of advice is "The Hand-Sculpted House" which I have on loan
from the library and am impressed to the point where I'll buy my own
copy soon.

Good Luck,
Drew