Cob: Hi, I'm new, and I want to build a cob bathhouse!

loving mama lovingmamajoy at msn.com
Tue Jan 28 01:00:23 CST 2003

Hi, everyone, I think I sent my message to the wrong addy, so here goes again!

I've been lurking a bit and I hope you all can help me out.  The dream I've had for a few years now is to build my Oregon Cob dream-house near Portland, OR, and do the permaculture thing and live off the grid. However, I have 2 kids under 4, and was a single mom until just last month, so this dream has largely lived only in my head, though I have been learning to garden.  I think it will be about 5 years before dh, the kids and I can start to really work on it.

So, what we need help with is learning the basics.  Our schedules and the children make it nearly impossible to attend a workshop, so we'd like to conduct our own, in our back yard, in the middle of the city!  I want to learn how to make a greywater system, and we would like a bathhouse, so we're thinking of doing an Oregon Cob bathhouse.  Is this a good choice of project?  What would it take financially and time wise?  Which books should we read for the best information and practical help?  What is the first step? Must I obtain city permits for the whole project or just the plumbing and wiring?  Must I obtain permits for that stuff if it is not using city resources?

Thanks so much in advance, I'm looking forward to getting to know you!