Cob: to insulate or not

Drew Neve farm at triwest.net
Wed Jan 29 11:48:37 CST 2003

Hi, this is Drew in Wisconsin.  I am thinking along those lines too.  I
have a southern exposure on the hillside.  As Rob Roy points out in his
"Earth-Sheltered Home".  The earth is a terrible insulator so you do
want to insulate that rear wall.  Using the rear rooms for storage does
provide further insulation for the living areas and keep them more
comfortable.  The advantage to being against the earth is that you are
insulating against 40 degrees instead of -20 degrees (around here), but
the earth will absorb the heat if you don't insulate.