Fw: Cob: thinking thru house details & convenience

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 29 22:09:14 CST 2003

I'm with Bill and Julie on this one.  Although I can understand stairs--if a
second story costs less than more area with a foundation....  It doesn't
really mean I want to HAVE to use them.  One of my cousin's best friend's
dad had a stroke.  the family had to convert the dining room into a bedroom
for him.  Miserable for everyone, including guests coming over for dinner.
And a lesson for those of us who plan to grow old living in what we've
built.

Now, if we are working with cob we may be better able to put an entrance
door at ground level--on to an earthen floor.  My house in the Nashville
area had that, but it also had all the problems you would expect from an 80
year old stick built house.  Dry rot in the floor joists, and a seriously
slanting floor as a result.  For a while the washing machine sat on the
ground.  Not great electrically.  Or anything else.

The kitchen there was stick built. The rest was apparently built of recycled
World War One box cars.