Cob: Heat Storage

Patricia L. MacKenzie ruanmackenzie at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 30 11:38:17 CST 2003

<P>hi, fellow lurker. do you recall whether or not color tests were conducted on the rock salt (ie, gray, black white or combo?)? </P>
<P>i should think black stone would heat higher in temperature.<BR><BR></P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>From: "dcv" <DCV at DATAWISE.NET>
<DIV></DIV>>Reply-To: "dcv" <DCV at DATAWISE.NET>
<DIV></DIV>>To: <COBLIST at DEATECH.COM>
<DIV></DIV>>Subject: Cob: Heat Storage
<DIV></DIV>>Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 06:37:47 -0800
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>The last time I posted to this list, I was besieged with flame and demeaning comments to my personal email, but I would like to come out of lurking to add some thoughts again.
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>Recent posts have included info on pipes in floors, Roman heating and tubs, as well as the idea of placing the structure into a south sloping hill.
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>Years ago, Popular Science mag had an article about thermal mass that used large rock salt as a heat retention agent. I would favor 6A stone (drywell stone) 1 - 1 1/2" size.
<DIV></DIV>>Although the tests did show rock salt was the better agent.
<DIV></DIV>>Hot water was passed through pipes for heat transfer and storage.
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>If a retention wall was placed into the hill, with a "dead air" space between the cob wall, then filled with piping and thermal mass material, that would allow the air to freely through the rock salt, stones, etc,. Heat could be transferred under the floor and through the north wall space to capture the warmth. The water pipes could be a closed loop system. Air ducts would force air into and back out of the thermal mass. Thereby the floor and wall would become part of the thermal mass and air circulation could be controlled by fan. This air could be continuously be circulated within the structure.
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>Once this retaining space reached high enough temp. (approx 80 degs) the system would require little additional heat to maintain the level desired.
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>Possibly a combination of these systems could work for those so inclined. How about adding the solar as suggested in harmony with a Hasha or outdoor wood furnace?
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>toilnsoil