Cob: to insulate or not

Drew Neve farm at triwest.net
Thu Jan 30 16:30:50 CST 2003

I'm going to disagree with most of the comments questioning what I said,
based on the source I quoted in the original message and my own
experiences.  If I go into my 40 degree uninsulated basement and put on a
space heater while I'm working on something, the temperature warms up right
nearby the heater only.  If I take that same heater to the same sized
insulated room immediately above, even at night, the heat warms the entire
room, even when it is below zero outside.  As soon as I set the heater down
and walk back downstairs, the temperature still says 40 degrees.
Apparently that heat is being absorbed by the earth outside my basement
walls.  A thermal mass will hold heat, but the earth is more of a thermal
mass than I am interested in heating.  I also don't want to live in a 40
degree house, so I'm going to insulate against the earth.
Also, looking at the figure in "The Hand-Scupted House" that compares cob
to straw bales, they point out that cob (earth) is not a good insulator.
I don't know Darel, and I don't want to be confrontational, but I find his
points puzzling, perhaps there is a misunderstanding as to the context.
All of this really is not peculiar to cob.  As an aside I would not
recommend using cob below grade, pour concrete or use stone or earth-filled
tires against the hill and use cob above grade.

Drew Neve