Cob: avoid code with this floorplan & heating question

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 30 16:51:41 CST 2003

I sent predictable comments back to the guy for the first of the plans.

You're right.  Cob and straw-bale share some of the same design
features--thick walls, possible roof supports outside of those walls, need
to keep water off and out of the walls.  Cob is probably better for a lot of
curves (although there are some round s-b buildings, and some with kind of
unintentional curves in them).  Looking at other peoples' plans can teach
you a whole lot.

This house is intended for use in Hawaii.  Where you can eat outside most of
the time. Where you don't freeze dashing from one module to another.  And
they used to sell cars without heaters or defrosters there--I had one.

Foundations and footings would be my question for a modular cob house in a
temperate climate.  Whether the very long runs for heat through holes in the
foundations would be feasible, whether you'd lose all your warmth on the
way.  And whether the first plan on the modular house URL would have enough
solar heating to be worth trying it. (the second one does, maybe too much
for Hawaii, even if it is on the Big Island, maybe a few thousand feet up.
You really do want to keep your walls warm in cooler weather with cob and
things like slip-form concrete.

Evans suggests a hypothetical (I hope it was) in which someone on a flood
plain at the bottom of a north-facing hill wanted a cob building that would
be occupied only sporadically throughout the year. This would be a terrible
situation in which to expect cob to perform anything but badly.  Modular has
some of the same problems.

Jill's looking at this plan, wondering if it would solve some of her
problems.

http://www.balewatch.com/480.compound.html

While the designer had strawbale in mind, the concept is exactly the same
with cob.
Note the separation of the rooms serves two purposes: 1. to give you
learning experience and 2. to avoid having to deal with code issues AT ALL,
legally

My only question is: can you put the tubes under the ground to connect the
heat source? What do you think would be the heating solution?