Cob: Heat Storage--not demeaning comments

Yun Que yunk88 at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 31 00:18:17 CST 2003

<P><BR><BR></P>
<DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>Cat here,  ???  Rock salt, like the stuff in the bag you throw on snow??  I know #2 gravel but what are 1-1  and sheet rock, ect?  If the rock is behind the north wall into the hill could a solar catch be designed to use mirror to direct heat to the rock bed??  Is this rock bed full ht of wall?  could it also serve as drainage for hill water?   I'm getting out there now going to have to build 3D to figure this out!!</P></DIV>
<P><EM>for the good of all </EM>Cat<BR></P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>From: "Amanda Peck" <AP615 at HOTMAIL.COM>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Reply-To: "Amanda Peck" <AP615 at HOTMAIL.COM>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>To: coblist at deatech.com
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Subject: Re: Cob: Heat Storage--not demeaning comments
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 09:22:13 -0600
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Interesting idea. Most of the "active heat storage" plans have gone
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>out of favor, but it looks rather as though we're reviving a few.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>I've got a pretty severe drainage problem (STEEP slope downhill) at
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>the most reasonable place to build with road access, so I'm
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>contemplating a double wall on the rear of the building anyway.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Maybe I could use the space, which will be filled with rock anyway,
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>as a heat storage area--of course the Sweet Sunny South needs more
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>cooling than heating, although you couldn't prove it by the last
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>week or so.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Toilnsoil wrote (snipped)
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Years ago, Popular Science mag had an article about thermal mass
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>that used large rock salt as a heat retention agent. I would favor
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>6A stone (drywell stone) 1 - 1 1/2" size.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Although the tests did show rock salt was the better agent.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Hot water was passed through pipes for heat transfer and storage.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>If a retention wall was placed into the hill, with a "dead air"
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>space between the cob wall, then filled with piping and thermal mass
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>material, that would allow the air to freely through the rock salt,
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>stones, etc,. Heat could be transferred under the floor and through
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>the north wall space to capture the warmth. The water pipes could be
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>a closed loop system. Air ducts would force air into and back out of
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>the thermal mass. Thereby the floor and wall would become part of
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>the thermal mass and air circulation could be controlled by fan.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>This air could be continuously be circulated within the structure.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Once this retaining space reached high enough temp. (approx 80 degs)
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>the system would require little additional heat to maintain the
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>level desired.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Protect your PC - get McAfee.com VirusScan Online
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>