Cob: tra cotta pipes,insul

Yun Que yunk88 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 3 13:09:20 CST 2003

<P><BR><BR></P>
<DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>Cat here,  Cob wall in green house Ok I am starting some plants in my room and my spraying them down with water has melted the sheet rock!  Hmmmmm  Never thought of that until Amanda's e'  Maybe a face of brick or tile could help deflect the possible water damage or design it so no plants are close to the wall, something like that.  Niches in the wall could give more surface to heat up for the solar sink?  stuff in a few objects of art and you have garden room!  </P></DIV>
<P>for the good of all cat<BR><BR></P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>From: "Amanda Peck" <AP615 at HOTMAIL.COM>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Reply-To: "Amanda Peck" <AP615 at HOTMAIL.COM>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>To: coblist at deatech.com
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Subject: Re: Cob: tra cotta pipes,insul
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 08:00:18 -0600
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Somebody asked me this. I've thought a lot, read a lot, have VERY
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>LITTLE real world experience, by the way. Not to mention I'm
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>opinionated, and figure saying something straight out is the best
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>way to ask a question. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>a) you might not need to shelter your greenhouse/trombe wall in the
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>front of your cob building. Just do whatever you would do if it were
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>a plain greenhouse. You WOULD need to make sure it didn't overheat
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>everything. My friends who have this arrangement--and theirs IS a
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>greenhouse, it's starting summer plants right now--can take large
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>portions of the sides out for the summer. They blow hot air into
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>their house in the winter, keep a couple of 55 gallon drums filled
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>with water out there for a moderating influence as well.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>b) stem wall, all the same precautions you would use for the rest of
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>your cob. Rely on tuning the overhang that you put in to get winter
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>sun, not summer, if you put cob between your windows. Which might
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>not be structurally sound. Shade and ventilation in the summer are
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>going to be important. If there's no particular problem with the
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>cob there, an arbor with morning glories or other annual (or
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>deciduous) vines is pretty nice. A retractible awning would be
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>nice, until there was a nasty thunderstorm the day you went shopping
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>in Memphis. You would need to think ventilation in the summer, in
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>addition to shade.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Brent Flaco Wilson:
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>"If you were going to add a passive solar room on the front of a cob
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>house with a trombe wall. How would you shelter the cob from the
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>weather on the front?"
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>The new MSN 8: advanced junk mail protection and 2 months FREE*
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>