Cob: sandy digging and Kentucky future

Patrick Newberry PNewberry at HFHI.org
Mon Feb 3 14:06:40 CST 2003

Nader is Persian (aka Iran).
He fired his house while doing some soul searching and driving around on a motorcycle during
the Iran revolution. He book "racing along" chronicle the adventure. Nader is a great fellow.
He had been an architect in Los Angeles prior to getting into more alternative building techniques.  He does not fire his houses in Hesperia California where new now lives and works.

Nader also translated a book of Persian poetry (Rumi).

Pat Newberry
www.gypsyfarm.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Gregor [mailto:bgregor at buphy.bu.edu]
Sent: Monday, February 03, 2003 12:30 PM
To: PJ Benet-Davis
Cc: coblist at deatech.com
Subject: Re: Cob: sandy digging and Kentucky future

On Mon, 3 Feb 2003, PJ Benet-Davis wrote:

> office.  Also, Eastern San Diego County is quite rugged and there are
> people in the area who have done the clay fired houses that were being
> touted about 15 years ago by a local (SoCal) professor from, I
> believe, Arabia.  He has at least one book out on the subject.

Nader Khalili is the architect's name.  His book is "Ceramic Houses and
Earth Architecture."  He has a web site at: www.cal-earth.org, and these
days is the main proponent of the superadobe method, aka earthbag
construction.  I've just ordered "Building with Earth" by Paulina
Wojciechowska to learn more about this.  One of these days I'll check
out the ceramic house book too - it's such an intriguing idea!

-brian