Cob: Re: Washing Machines, plus Living Smaller

Mark Piepkorn duckchow at potkettleblack.com
Mon Feb 24 09:57:41 CST 2003

         I once made a washing machine out of cob; the clothes came out
dirtier than they went in. (A bald-face, but cob-related, lie. Cob-related
non-lies follow the last of my off-topic washing-machine gab.)

At 11:06 AM 2/22/2003, Amanda Peck wrote some good and handy stuff. My
followup notes are kept brief so as to be useful for those who might
appreciate them, yet still angled to avoid as much trouble as possible with
our underappreciated listfounder, host, and owner, Shannon. (Do I get
points for sucking up, Shannon? I think I should.)

         James washer and hand-cranked wringers, which are even more
expensive now than when I bought them...
- via Lehman's:
http://www.lehmans.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/CategoryDisplay?cgmenbr=12426&cgrfnbr=32845#58001
- via Cumberland General Store:
http://www.cumberlandgeneral.com/AB1257/showprod.cfm?&DID=6&User_ID=234656&st=2807&st2=62845551&st3=-75459732&CATID=16&ObjectGroup_ID=45
- via Real Goods / Gaiam:
http://www.realgoods.com/shop/shop2.cfm?dp=208&ts=1063411

         Good to know the bad news about rotating-ball washer drains
leaking. I wonder if I could avoid that by using a good brass ball-valve.
The world may never know.

>220 sf?

         220 square feet with all the amenities. Our home is 8 feet wide
and 27.5 feet long:
http://www.potkettleblack.com/potkettleblog/archives/03_0202b.jpg

         Prior to this, as a single guy, I lived in a roughly-converted
1955 Ford B500 half-size school bus:
http://www.potkettleblack.com/potkettleblog/year-1/crypt/000186.html

         There's a lot to be learned about living smaller and conserving
built space (which are generally among the core tenets of the typical
natural-building ethos) by studying - in person! - RVs and boats (better to
actually live in one for a good while if you can), which attempt to pack
all the comforts of our Western world into practically no room at all.
Sometimes they almost succeed, too. Better to try to do without some of the
creature comforts, IMO, but most people aren't going to embrace that willingly.

         Usually I'm fine with the just-plain-living aspect of this limited
amount of space... but sometimes it's hard not having enough room for, say,
all of my books. Both of us wish we had even a desk of our own. I wish I
had some kind of workshop space - something like a carport would do, as
long as I can put freeze-affected things (like liquids, etc) somewhere
conditioned.

         We'll have more room when we build (someday), but it will be a
fair amount *less* room than it would otherwise have been. OTOH,
zealousness can drive people to design too small for their happiness.

         There was a terrific issue of The Last Straw a couple years ago,
guest-edited by Shay Salomon of the organization Women Build Houses (nka
"Women Builders"), dedicated to building small. Lots of good stuff.