Cob: cob and cordwood

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 28 18:59:44 CST 2003

In my effort to NOT SEND OUT duplicate messages, I sent one reply to this
only to Kim.  Oh, well.

The only think I know about against cordwood is that the splits in some
friends' logs led to invasions by Asian Lady Beetles every sunny winter's
day.  It's gorgeous, however.  They only plastered/stuccoed/concreted the
outside.

Don't really think there'd be any kind of problem if the cordwood was held
together by some sort of cob-like material.

What that wouldn't do, though is give one a nice waterproof stemwall.

Would you get termites within 18 inches of the ground?  Would it work better
to do it backwards?

I've no experience so I don't know.

(Kim)Was wondering if it is possible to build a structure where the first
3-4 feet are cordwood, then the remaining height of the structure is cob?

Or, if one were to build a cob structure with a cordwood addition, what
would be the proper way to connect the two materials without problems due to
differing shrinkage and settling rates?

Anyone here had any experience building cob/cordwood hybrids?

Thanks,

Kim