Cob: second structure spacing

Dorothy Bothne dbothne54 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 5 07:49:35 CST 2003

Actually, Darel is right.  His solution takes care of the worst case scenario.  Using his method will cover all winter months because, if I understand the problem correctly,  the issue was to space the buildings far enough so the northernmost building wouldn't be shaded from the winter sun.  On Dec. 21 the sun would be in the lowest position. (of course this only applies if you're in the northern hemisphere)

Darel, good trig explanation.  Are you an engineer or a math major?

Dorothy

Amanda wrote:
My own feeling was that you didn't want to use December 21st.  But
something
more along the lines of October 20, or whenever you want to start
getting
the sun on your floor most years, and give yourself a bunch of room
towards
the east so that morning sun hits the floor earlier (and later--late
February?) in the year than the setting sun.  But yes, it's a triangle
problem, with how to fish the solution out nicely stated here.  And I
expect
it works for overhangs as well.

Darel wrote:

It's a simple triangle problem.

Most likely winter's when you want the solar energy coming in.

The lowest altitute of the sun is at December 21st.   This is the
degree
of one of the angles in the triangle, 90 degrees is the other.