Cob: Paint on cob

Darel Henman henman at it.to-be.co.jp
Wed Mar 5 23:10:28 CST 2003

Kim,
  don't put paint on cob.  Too many people think a cob wall will
disintergrate at the first rain and this is untrue.  I have seen hundred
year old daub buildings with NO lime plaster, just the rough daub still
in pretty good condition.  It had a proper roof.   It wasn't but could
be replastered with a clay straw plaster if wanted every so often.   A
lime and sand or lime and fibre would probably help it last a bit
longer.   A lime and clay soil with maybe some sand and soft fibre would
work as well.   But the cute little daub building I saw was still
functional as it was a hundred years ago as a little shed.  I've seen
houses about two hundred years old as well with just the daub/cob
finish.   Cob once dried and cured is very strong.

 Of course, one must consider your area and the quality of your mix.

 Not related, but in general paint sucks.  Leave things their natural
color.  If you have a mental thing about painting everything, use a
natural oil or wax for wood.

Darel