Cob: Metal Roofing

Drew Neve farm at triwest.net
Sun Mar 9 09:46:47 CST 2003

If anything there might just be a little residual oil left on the surface which
will come off with the first good rain, anything after that will be just fine.
An un-enameled roof will be galvanized (given a coating of zinc that will give
the steel rust resistance).
The same thing goes in terms of any residual oil.
Plumbers have used zinc in solder for pipe joints for decades, so there
shouldn't be any concern for watering plants.
As I said in an earlier posting, I've been very happy with the galvanized metal
roof I put on a shed about four years ago.  I shopped around and wound up
getting the best deal from a local lumber yard.  The price was a little more
than the huge chains, but they custom cut to the length I wanted, and delivered
it where and when I wanted for free and gave plenty of good advice.
Since it was custom cut, installation was much easier and faster.  There are no
overlaps or seams so it is more efficient, and I did no cutting whatsoever.  It
also help me meet another person who waves and says "Hi Drew" when he sees me
around town.  You don't get that in the big chains.

Drew Neve