Cob: Thermal Mass

Chandra Shakti moonchild1970 at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 18 06:37:08 CST 2003

I have been reflecting on the thermal mass issue. I recall some questions
about whether the thermal mass of cob would be sufficient in hot summer
areas. I live in Kansas where we usually have several weeks running of highs
95 - 110 with lows of 80-85. I currently live in a 100+ year old house with
lath and plaster walls which were insulated some time in the past with blown
in newspaper insulation. I have no air conditioning. If my home is kept
closed up it rapidly becomes unberable. However, if I conscientiously open
the windows in the evening and close the windows and drapes in the early
morning - while it is still relatively cool, even cooler than inside - then
the house doesn't get much above 90. I know that sounds hot to someone used
to year-round 70, but it is definately cooler than out in the full heat.
Perhaps I am wrong, but I credit the effect of the thermal mass of the
plaster walls much more than the (puny at best) insulation for the
moderation of temperature.
  Another hint for coping with temps using thermal mass: I let the house
cool down to 60 or a bit cooler in the spring (April) and allow it to get
over 90 in the fall (Sept) to give myself a bit of extra wiggle room in the
extreme seasons.
  -Chandra