Cob: Thermal Mass

Buckaroo henman at it.to-be.co.jp
Tue Mar 25 20:38:34 CST 2003

It's also true as you say that other items in the house will contribute
to thermal mass,,  but it combined total alone would be  insufficient
for any thermal flywheel affectt, even I would say for as short a period
 as 12 hours.   To think it would have a lag time of over 12 hours is
unrealistic.

The case mentioned was, a raised, standard wooden joist floor and wooden
joist ceiling.   The thin walls where light sinsulation with very little
thermal capacitance. Same for the floor and ceiling.

So Chandra's strategy would not be good for a  low thermal mass home.
You would be simply making yourself uncomfortable trying to charge the
insignificant mass which has a very low capacity. She should follow the
rules for keeping a house warm or cool that are applicable for low
thermal mass, i.e., standard homes, which is what she described.    Why
on earth do you say people should be doing something which makes them
uncomfortable and has absolutely no effect on storing heat or acting as
a sink to any signifigant degree over a period of a couple of hours, I'd
say.

Darel