Cob: horse hair

Brad Calvert bradcalv at netspace.net.au
Sat Mar 29 07:52:20 CST 2003

>are you sure they used mane hair and tail hair and not body hair?

I was just thinking they are the parts of a horse where you can harvest a
decent quantity of hair in a short time.  I would think long strands provide
better reinforcement.

Cutting hair from an entire horse with scissors is not my idea of fun.

Could be they did just use it on plaster.

I've heard on half-timber wattle and daub infill panels horse hair was mixed
in with the mud.

Dunno how human hair would go, I can't say I really like the idea, seems a
bit creepy, but that may just be my 20th/21st century cultural bias.