Cob: House plans/living roof

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 31 06:43:45 CST 2003

Welcome unlurker.  I can't address all of the issues.  About next week I'm
fixing to start a rubble trench foundation (for a tiny log cabin--we may put
an earth oven/cob fireplace in it), and since I have block I haven't used
for another purpose, we're using that on top of the gravel.  I've been
thinking that a double row of block (maybe with vermiculite between the rows
if necssary for a wider fundation), but we won't need it here.

Are you trying to avoid metal hence the plastic?  If not, a double course of
barbed wire might work better than that slick flashing.  Which reminds me
I've got to order some 6-inch wide reinforcing mesh for my project--that's
available too, but probably too rigid for your circle.  And maybe some of
the wire gabions--they seem to come in welded wire and twisted wire versions
the latter quite a bit more flexible, I'd expect.  (Great big baskets--from
18" cubes to 3' and larger ones--around here pronounced with a long
a--Gaybeeons, filled with rocks)  Somebody insists that these aren't real
gabions, but if you run a search, that's what you'll find.  And what they
say are (the original Roman style?) gabions may be called blankets.

Mints on the roof sound wonderful. Are they shallow-rooted enough for a
living roof?

Chuck wrote:

Been lurking on the list for quite awhile, but have yet to see my particular
problem(s) addressed.  I am building a 20' inside diameter round cob house
with a clerestory living roof system.  The circle will be split by a cob
wall running east/west the the diameter of the house.  The base of this wall
will be 24", while the base of the curved outside walls will be 18".  All
walls will be load-bearing.  I've cut 12" diameter timbers to span the
(maximum) 10' length from the inside wall to the outside.  Now for the
issues...

I intend to use a rubble trench system for the foundation.  Rather than
build a stemwall of expensive material (block, rock, concrete), I have
access to a large number of incredibly sturdy plastic soda cases with solid
quarter-inch sides.  The idea is to fill these with gravel and use them as
blocks, thus providing a moisture break.  Stakes can be driven through them
to secure them to the gravel in the trench, and flashing can be used to
secure them to each other.  As an outside covering, I envision using a thin
coat of concrete/fiberglass slurry sold in a bucket.  (I don't want to use
this or the aluminum flashing or the pond liner for the roof, but can see no
long-term, working alternatives.)  Here's the question:  I plan on having
12" of cob on the gravel in the soda case, while the other 6" will be
resting on the gravel that will underlay the cob floor.  Is this a problem?
I can't find any reference to this situation anyplace (and I've read Ianto
Evans' "Hand-Sculpted House" twice).

Next issue is the living roof.  Evans does deal with it some, as does Rob
Roy.  The problem I'm having tho' is with the design of the fascia and how
the water drains.  Evans states that the waterproof layer goes over the
fascia, yet his diagram in the book doesn't show that.  And everyone says
that the waterproofing should be covered to avoid degradation from UV, but
if it runs over the fascia it will be exposed to the elements. Besides the
obvious, my question is would a fascia even be necessary if the slope of the
roof were shallow enough to prevent erosion and you had plants aggressive
enough to hold the soil in place?  (BTW, I'm a nurseryman, and there are two
genus that, in my mind, would work wonderfully on a living roof: the mints
and the bellflowers (specifically Campanula rapunculoides and C. punctata)).

That's it for now, but as things continue/evolve, I'm sure I'll post more
questions.  Thanks for any insight.

Chuck