Cob: Mud Borers

Kim West kwest at arkansas.net
Mon Apr 7 23:19:04 CDT 2003

I read about bees boring into mud chinking in a Fox Fire book. I can't say that I have ever seen any mud borers myself. Maybe the person meant to speak of dirt daubers? I don't think that dirt daubers actually bore into anything-- I can't say with any certainty about whether or not dirt daubers bore and where exactly their range is.

Wood boring bees are another story. They definitely do exist in North America and maybe elsewhere. As far as the extent of their range, again I cannot tell you the exact answer to that. Below are a couple links about them. If you would like to know more a web search should provide the info you seek.

http://ag.arizona.edu/urbanipm/insects/bees/carpenterbees.html

http://www.grassroots.ca/homeowner_help_articles/wood-damaging-insects.htm

Darel wrote:

Penelope,
     consider you local area. Do you have so called wood boring bees?
  If not don't, which is most likely, then don't worry. IF such a bee
exists, where do they live?