Cob: GYPSUM ADOBE CONSTRUCTION TECHNOLOGY]

Lance Collins collinsl at bigpond.net.au
Wed Apr 23 02:19:30 CDT 2003

Hi All,

I had a happy time over Easter adding a layer of poured earth to a wall I'm
building and making blocks for use when I get higher up and it's too hard
lifting the wet mix. The weather was perfect, about 18 deg C, cloudless
blue sky and no wind. Mudders heaven.

My mix was 20 litres of soil, 18 litres of hardwood sawdust with 8 litres
of water yielding 20 litres of wet mix. Very easy to mix and lay. It's
strong too, a block I made three weeks ago was unmarked by dropping it one
metre onto hard ground. Problem is the weather is cooling off and it will
take longer than three weeks setting time from now on.

So, let's add some gypsum to the mix and see what happens.

I tried 20 litres of soil, 18 litres of sawdust, 4 litres of gypsum, a
litre of lime and 11 litres of water yielding 25 litres of mix. I placed it
in the same type of forms I was using for the plain mix and waited for it
to set. I waited and waited and waited. 24 hours later there was absolutely
no difference in the softness of the plain mix and the gypsum mix.

I would have obtained blocks hard enough to stack in two days if I'd used
cement instead of gypsum. Also in small quantities gypsum can be more
expensive than cement. At a hardware barn 40Kg of cement was $10.40 (in the
builders section) and 25Kg of gypsum was $10 in the gardening section.

So what am I missing here? What do the Turks and the Cast Earth company
know that I don't?