Cob: logs and leather, earth and weaves.

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Sat May 3 08:29:37 CDT 2003

Yep, Ms Taylor does have great books.

Of course, if you're building primarily of earth, then (more or less)
straight lines have no particular advantages, and curves may serve as
support.  If you're building of logs, or stone that is easy to form into
blocks, straight lines do make sense.

Works for clothing too.  Leather doesn't come in rectangular pieces, so you
might as well do fitted clothing with it.  Woven cloth does, and you have to
do something with cut edges, so at the opposite extreme there is the
Japanese kimono, which I gather was traditionally taken apart to wash.

What's odd, it just now struck me, is that some at least of the African
clothing is based on the woven cloth model, where the houses are earth, and
with Europeans, log and leather form the model.

Amanda