Cob: Update: rubble trench, rethinking roof, attitudes

phil phawn1 at excite.com
Tue May 20 16:39:06 CDT 2003

I, too, am digging a foundation by hand. Mine is a bit smaller at thirteen feet across (as big as you can go and still be classified as a shed and not require a permit). My foundation is also 20"to 24" wide, 36" deep on the up slope and 24" deep on the down slope. I hit clay anywhere from 4" to 16" down. I also hit a lot of rock! There is at least one that will not be moved and become a part of the foundation. It will be a rubble trench. I have about eight feet left to dig.

We are going to try and use only materials from the site with the exception of sand and maybe gravel. I live in a forest and rock is abundant (we live in the oldest mtns in North America, the Blue Ridge of North Carolina). I'm about 3 weeks behind schedule because of weather. I had hoped to be laying rock at this point. The plan is to start cobbing in June but it may be July or later. Weather here will start to turn cold and wet around October.

It's good to share!
BB
Phil