Cob: Update: rubble trench, rethinking roof, attitudes

Waiting4 TheDay waiting4theday at hotmail.com
Wed May 21 21:27:34 CDT 2003

Amanda,

Actually, I'd like to see a cob house myself LOL.  I'm building on faith,
plus a few pictures and the common sense of it all.  As far as I know there
aren't any cob houses around here -- say from St. Louis to Memphis.  Is
there any kind of national directory of cob buildings?

I was peeling fresh-cut swamp maple logs in February of last year with a
long-handled scraper.  I guess it wasn't too bad so long as the tree was
fairly young...seemed that once their bark began to furrow the going got
tough.  I had taken down an elm to expand the nursery and decided to give it
a go...for about three feet.  At that point I'd spent more time and energy
than if I'd done 12' of maple.  I've read some articles about maple not
being long-lasting, but those logs I did have been out in the weather
uncovered (but up off the ground) for over a year now and there's no rot or
insect damage.  What I also like about the maple is the quickness of drying
and the lightness once it was dry.  Hmmm, I better watch it or I'll convince
myself to go back to the original plan....there's just something so right
about exposed timber rafters.

Chuck