Cob: Re: Re: Cob--fasteners, bought or natural?

mike swink mswink77 at mindspring.com
Sat May 24 15:23:54 CDT 2003

Movement with log will happen.

One problem with logs is to cut the trees when they have less water. Then
handleing them is the main consideration more than drying out etc.

If you spend about a day studying block tackle and rope methods the time is
well spent. It cannot be overstated.

If you feel comfortable in handing the logs after they fall keep them off
the ground using slats etc. To allow air to reach even state around the
logs. Later the debarking becomes easy.

To create a drying method build with  plastic or fiberglass panels covering
at least three sides. Make sure there is proper drainage to take water away
from logs. Like with all solar. Remeber the princple is liken to the tee
pee. where there is opening at one end or bottom and the other at top. Or if
on slope air will flow upward naturally.

Sometimes lumber made from chainsaw lumber mill. Will produce 2 1/4inch
thick planks. These if allowed to air dry will actually go down in moisture
to that of furniture standards of 8%. Just remeber wither it is logs or
planks allow even air flow by useing slats to separate the planks/logs.

One reason we dry out logs is that moisture will not freeze and cause the
wood to crack or split. I have known people not to dry the logs after
debarking and just built to include movement with the wood. No Biggie.