Cob: Fw: Re: Cob--fasteners, bought or natural?

Bill&Julie wbates at mn.rr.com
Sat May 24 20:58:09 CDT 2003

Hidare All,,, MORTICE and TENON,,, My Grandfather was a barn builder,
And as a littl'un I remember getting yelled at quite a bit for looking at
his
equipment. The equipment that he used was Antique 50 years ago.
The hole that was drilled in Crossways in the TENON, did not line up with
the Crossways hole in the BEAM, that went through the MORTICE.
This INTERFERENCE fit ( 1/8 inch offset ) would draw the Tenon tight
into the mortice when a hardwood peg was driven through the
hole in the beam.
For those that still have a hard time visualizing this, do a search for
"mortice and tenon".  I will now to see if there is anything out there...

I hope to be helpfull,,bill