Cob: Tips (or mistakes that I've made ALREADY!!!)

Waiting4 TheDay waiting4theday at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 3 21:11:37 CDT 2003

Hello all,

Fortunately none of the mistakes were too serious, but they did result in
more time and effort.  For whatever reason I got it into my head to dig out
the rubble trench first, then to take out the floor.  While it was
definitely a cool effect seeing a huge ring in the grass, it made digging
out the floor sooo much harder.  The next error was while digging the
drainage trench for the rubble trench.  I began with a 16" tiling spade,
knowing full well I had to go down 24".  So I ended up having to use a
mattock to take out the other 8" of the material.  Next time (how can there
not be a next time?) I'll just use a regular garden spade for the first
layer then finish it off with the tiling spade.

Otherwise things are going well, tho' we've had the coolest, wettest spring
in probably 20 years.

Chuck