Cob: commercial clay

Russell Theodore Holzinger IAM at AvidDesignStudio.com
Thu Jun 12 00:20:00 CDT 2003

I got some real good clay from a quary that was 1 hour out of town.  They had blood read, terra cotta orange, yellow, green, wine purple.  $10/yard.
Call some sand and gravel companys.  They have the sand and often know were clay is.  You are looking for "washed playgroung sand" also ~$10/yard.

Russ

-----Original Message-----
From: Brad Calvert
Sent: 2003-06-11 9:01 PM
To: coblist at deatech.com
Subject: Cob: commercial clay

I gather most people are using clay dug on site.

Has anyone tried using clay from a brickworks or some other industrial
supplier?

Or are people getting clay from some building excavation site?

I live in suburbia and don't really need to dig a big hole in the ground.

And what about sand?  Do people use bricklayer's sand or something like
that?

Has anyone tried white clay with white sand?