Cob: light clay in the catskills

David Atmoweg vesuviusbobo at email.com
Thu Jun 12 20:39:20 CDT 2003

Darel;

 Thanks for the encouragement.  The light clay has been good to us, although we found it
harder to work with than we anticipated.  We had two difficulties that we didn't wholly
appreciate at first.  One was the matter of working within the constraints of the
pre-existing wood-frame house.  this place was built long before people here really
insulated at all, and isn't designed for it, and the other is that our soil is more silt and less
clay than we thought.  But we went ahead, fought the mold in the summer, won, and have
been happy with the insulation and the surface.
The nice thing about the joint clay/wool combo is that we can get the wool into spaces
(like the narrow sides of the window frames ((whichwere cut into the house one hundred
years after it was built))) where light-clay would be impractical.

-d.

http://www.flamingbunny.com