Cob: Getting Started

Yun Que yunk88 at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 1 14:51:50 CDT 2003

<P><BR><BR></P>
<DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>Cat here,  It used to get quite moist in my cold storage.  May want to consider some venting just to keep the drips off the walls.  Maybe one of those whirly-gig things that sit on the roof, then if it is not enough consider a retro-fit fan off a solar cell/batt with your lighting. </P></DIV>
<P>for the good of all Cat<BR><BR></P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>From: "Tracey Roberts" <MAINST at CDSNET.NET>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Reply-To: "Tracey Roberts" <MAINST at CDSNET.NET>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>To: <COBLIST at DEATECH.COM>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Subject: Cob: Getting Started
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 11:26:21 -0700
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>I am here in southern oregon and getting ready to start on my first
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>project - a pump house for our new well. I did the "jar test" on a few dirt
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>samples from around the property and have been letting it settle for days
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>and days. The water's still very cloudy and dirty and it seems I have very
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>little clay. Hmmm! I may have to try some other sites for dirt, but
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>tomorrow is test brick day. I am getting a late start due to a horrible hay
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>fever season! My hubby (a contractor) is going to oversee things to make
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>sure I don't make any gross errors in judgement. We're looking at 12' x
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>15'. This well is right next to the old well, and the old pump house if
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>falling down. (No foundation.) So, I'll build this with a little room and
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>no short wall between them, just plenty of keying to add more. Then if my
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>husband deems it structural we get to tear down the old one and connect them
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>into one large pumphouse / food storage. I am not planning to put any
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>windows in, to keep the temp constant and keep it dark and cooler. Does
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>anyone have thoughts / experience on a project like this?
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Tracey R.