Cob: cobbing in canada

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 2 06:58:45 CDT 2003

It's really easy to be wowed by cob.  Especially by that book.  For some
reason a lot of the new cob people--Bee, Smith, Evans and so on--are located
in the Pacific Northwest, which is one of the reasons I've never met any of
them.  There's Cobworks on Mayne Island, for instance.

http://www.cobworks.com/mayne.htm

What people may not see even the 4th or 5th time through the books, though,
is that these places are TINY.  Not bad, but it means that you need to
design it right the first time.  And pay attention.  What do you do in your
house, how do you do it.

Wendy writes:

i live here in victoria, british columbia, canada, and was recently
introduced to the cob concept by my brother. he bought a book called the
Hand Sculpted House and i've started reading. the whole idea so impressed
me. it seems like, finally, an affordable alternative, but more than that,
the pictures of the actual houses were like a fantasy. beautiful beyond any
conventional type house in any price range.  i guess my question is, is
building and owning one Really possible? cob houses just seem too good to be
true.  i know you are all busy, so if anyone lives in canada and could share
a bit of insight into the do-ability of canadian cob, i'd be appreciative. i
don't want to get my hopes up any uneccessarily.

i am wowed,  and congrats to anyone working on any project,

--
http://www.india.com
Now with POP3/SMTP access for only US$14.95/yr