Cob: small cob housing

Wendy Smyer Yu creeksinger at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 3 23:27:18 CDT 2003

Bill said:  To me the beauty of Cob is the ability to expand,,not the cob
itself,, but
>to add on to the house...
>To make a chain of rooms that opened into an atrium,, add rooms as you
>would
>need them. Then the house is never too small.

Although everyone I know who's ever build their own house is quick to say
"never live in a house while it's being built, it'll never get finished", I
think this is something good you've hit upon Bill - the fact that a cob
house can be built upon, changed, adapted.  Work, yes, but also
possibility....

I like that aspect in Timeless Way of Building/Pattern Language (Christopher
Alexander) that suggests that there is great beauty and enhanced function in
a house that evolves with the owners' needs, one that grows here and there.
It's organic.

Thanks for mentioning that.

Wendy S.