Cob: layout a circle

phil phawn1 at excite.com
Thu Jul 10 11:36:03 CDT 2003

I just hammered a stake in the ground at the point I felt would be my center, attached a string to the stake and measured out to half of the circles width and then just used a shovel to mark the edge as I walked the perimeter. I personally dug the foundation by hand (just me) and it took 4 months in my spare time between downpours. As this building is really just a practice house before the big house that worked fine. However, for the big house I already have a backhoe lined up to dig the foundation and the cellar and the greywater trench.

As far as the plan goes, I didn't start drawing a plan until I finished digging the foundation. I really wanted to see what shape it would be (round I know, but I needed to see it in place) as it related to the surrounding environment.

As I've started a natural building coalition here (mtns of NC) I have found that it is really easy to get people to come out and help. We have a few people with varying levels of experience and even have a member who is an architect/engineer. Start talking to people and network a bit. There are those out there who have an interest and thought they were the only ones.

BB to you too,
Phil