Cob: A Few Questions

Taylor Publishing-DirtCheapBuilder tms at northcoast.com
Fri Jul 11 20:07:26 CDT 2003

We have a 55 gallon drum with 250 pounds of lime slaking inside. I am
wondering if anyone here has slaked their lime before, and if so, how
does one store it over the winter?
Kim-
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Are you really slaking quicklime or just SOAKING hydrated lime?

Most people still don't know the difference so the "slaking : word is
misused. I bet it is soaking since quicklime  needs to be carefully
controlled during any slaking process to ensure the lime is not drowned
or dead burned.

Either way the lime will be fine with a few Sbales parked around it over
the winter  for insulation,  if you are in a snow/freese zone.   Keep
the top topped off with water, and if it does freeze the experts say it
will be fine come spring when it thaws.

are you planning on foot stomping the cob? if so your legs will get real
tired!

Ms. Charmaine  Taylor/ Taylor Publishing
http://www.dirtcheapbuilder.com    http://www.papercrete.com
PO Box 375, Cutten (Eureka) CA 95534 707-441-1632     tms at northcoast.com