Cob: Re: Cutting holes in cob

baco@pacinfo baco at pacinfo.com
Sat Jul 5 23:58:37 CDT 2003

A guy I work with was just telling me this story:

He needed to make a crawl space under a hundred year old house in order to
work on a floor joist problem. He cut a hole in a closet floor and used a
shop vac and small digging tool to tunnel in. He got the idea after watching
a city crew use a "snorkle" to drill hole for a power pole. The Snorkle is a
huge truck mounted vacuum that is used to clean catch basins. The city crew
used a fire hose to make mud and then sucked up the mud (and rocks) with the
snorkle.

My thought is: What if you used a pressure washer to cut through the wall?
If you were in an area where the water runoff would be an issue, you could
use a wet/dry shop vac or a diaphraghm pump to remove the water and clay.
Costco carries a nice little unit for about $100.

Now that I think about it, a high pressure of stream low flow water might be
usefull in mixing cob as well.

Today I found a house on a flat half acre with access from two streets,
front and back. If I can make the deal, I can have my hippy dippy cob
wonderland in the back and still have the urban tract house that my urban
princess wife wants. Wish me luck Cobbers!

Brian Bray
Eugene Oregon