Cob: Building Cob Home in the Dry Tropics

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 18 22:08:15 CDT 2003

How does your climate differ from that of Yemen and other places in the
middle east?  Where they have the 10-story cob/earthen buildings?  (of
course if you are going up 10 stories, you really don't want thin walls, at
least load-bearing thin walls.)

David wrote:

    I live in the dry tropics of North Queensland, Australia.  We have 9
months of dry warm weather with 3 months of hot, very humid and occasionally
rainy weather.  Would this be a suitable climate to build a cob home in?  I
know cob walls can be built much thinner than the regular 2 - 3', but how
thin can they be built?  How can cob homes be modified to fit into tropical
climates?

cheers,

David