Cob: Spam bounce on the list

Shannon C. Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Tue Jul 29 13:15:28 CDT 2003

As a couple of you have asked about it, so I thought I should respond to
the list.  Many of you probably received a message that contained a
section that looks like the following:

[snip]
>This message was created automatically by mail delivery software (Exim).
>
>A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
>recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:
>
> coblist-outgoing at deatech.com
> MESSAGE REJECTED, ILLEGAL DESTINATION
> If you believe your message has been erroneously rejected,
> you can contact the administrator using your web browser at:
>
> http://www.deatech.com/email.html
[snip]

This is the normal response of my spam filters, however there was a hole
that allowed a bounced message with a specific forged return address to be
returned to the coblist rather than the sender.  The hole has (hopefully)
been fixed, but it's possible there are others, so if you see something
like this in the future and the message is not one you sent, please just
ignore it, I will try to make sure that any future holes which show up are
fixed.

Thanks,